Home » Misc » 4th of July Pet Safety Tips

4th of July Pet Safety Tips

4th of July pet safety tips

For my American friends, today is a holiday! But, this can be a scary day for your four-legged friends. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers the following tips:

  • Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
  • Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
  • Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
  • Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
  • Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
  • Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
  • Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
  • Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

Source: ASPCA.org.

Press samples have been provided for review. Opinions are the author’s own. Article may contain affiliate links.

About chiefbunny

Jen Mathews is the Chief Bunny and social media maestro for My Beauty Bunny. She is also the President of Top Tier Media, a social media agency for beauty, fashion, health and lifestyle brands.

Check Also

Michael Todd Soniclear

The Lipstick League – Treat Yo’ Self

Question of the Week: When you want to truly pamper yourself (as we all should ...


  1. Thanks for this post, very informative. Our dogs will be thanking you later tonight! :)
    Cooper. xx
    Cooper recently posted..America the Beautiful, Polish for FreeMy Profile

  2. Very good post. I stumbled across your blog, hope said, I really love surfing around your blog posts.
    John Ransom recently posted..Diet for diarrhea childrenMy Profile

  3. Thanks for such safety tips sharing with us …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 5 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 2)
%d bloggers like this: