Hey beauty bunnies – here are 5 tips to keep your hair color fresh! Getting your hair colored can be pricey, so it’s important to make it last as long as possible.
1. Wash every other (or third) day. This one’s hard for me, but I try to avoid washing my hair as much as possible. When you take the time to blow your hair out (or go to one of those blow dry bars), it’s easier to make it go a few days without looking greasy.
Courtney from Phyrra.net says, I recommend using dry shampoo in between washes. It helps you to maintain your color, as well as giving you volume and helping you to style your hair. Make sure you’re using a deep conditioner weekly! Of course I’m biased and I love my Phyrra’s Pretty Little Elixir vegan Hair Masque. It gives you the moisture you crave without weighing down your locks.
2. Don’t use hot water. I’m guilty of this one. It feels good, but it’s bad for your hair. Try to tone down the temp as much as possible to save your hair. Do a cool water rinse at the end to close the hair cuticles and give your hair a nice shine.
3. Use a color-safe shampoo/conditioner. I love DermOrganic’s shampoo, conditioner and hair masque (you can buy online or find at ULTA stores). I’m also a huge fan of Marco Pelusi’s Color Health shampoo and conditioner (they smell like coconut and lavender respectively – yum!)
4. Use styling products with a built in SPF to protect from sun fading. Celebrity hair colorist, Marco Pelusi, says, “Sun protection is paramount to prevent premature color fade. Sunlight will definitely directly lighten your color-treated hair and/or your natural hair. Use products that contain some form of sunscreen both on your skin and hair to protect yourself while in the sun. Each of my products contains benzophenone, which blocks ultraviolet rays.”
5. Stay out of direct sunlight and wear a hat when you’re out in the sun. And stay away from chlorinated pools and spas as much as possible – especially you blondes! If you are going to get in the jacuzzi at the gym or spa, wet your hair first and apply a leave-in conditioner or hair masque. Two of my favorites are Phyrra’s Pretty Little Elixir Hair Masque (smells great and it’s vegan!) and Marco Pelusi’s Anti-Frizz Leave In Conditioner with Collagen Guard (a cult favorite – cruelty free!).
Press samples have been provided for review. Opinions are the author’s own. Article may contain affiliate links.